February 29, 2012

back to the basics

I live in a building built in the early 1900's, so it goes without saying that my apartment is filled with character. I adore the delightfully aged locks and hooks, and I'm enthralled with the delicately peeled paint on the windows, radiators and claw-foot tub.

Lately I have been inspired by the small quirks of my home in the designs I create. I may go head over heels dreaming about beautiful accessories to adorn the home, but I also am a strong believer in accentuating the unique elements that already exist there.


{well-loved lock on apartment door}


I have recently taken close-up photos of these elements: a lock, grate and window -- all artifacts of times past. They are even more exquisite up close. There is something about design of yesteryear that cannot be replicated. The scratches, wear and patinaed surfaces are all so much more beautiful through the eye of the camera lens. 


{antique floor grate}

So let these textures and elements unique to our homes be a reminder that design doesn't necessarily mean adding more; rather, successful design can often lie in simple elements right under our very eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment